Elverta School District’s Bullying Prevention Plan
The Elverta School District believes that all students have a right to a safe and healthy school environment. The district, schools, and community have an obligation to promote mutual respect, tolerance, and acceptance.
The Elverta School District will not tolerate behavior that infringes on the safety of any student. A student shall not intimidate or harass another student through words or actions. Such behavior includes: direct physical contact, such as hitting or shoving; verbal assaults, such as teasing or name-calling; and social isolation or manipulation.
The Elverta School District expects students and/or staff to immediately report incidents of bullying to the principal or designee. Staff is expected to immediately intervene when they see a bullying incident occur. Each complaint of bullying should be promptly investigated. This policy applies to students on school grounds, while traveling to and from school or a school-sponsored activity, during the lunch period, whether on or off campus, and during a school-sponsored activity.
To ensure bullying does not occur on school campuses, the Elverta School District will provide staff development training in bullying prevention and cultivate acceptance and understanding in all students and staff to build each school & capacity to maintain a safe and healthy learning environment Teachers should discuss this policy with their students in age-appropriate ways and should assure them that they need not endure any form of bullying. Students who bully are in violation of this policy and are subject to disciplinary action up to and including expulsion.
Definition of Bullying:
- Bullying is a specific type of aggression which can be: verbal, physical, or psychological.
- Bullying behavior is intended to harm or disturb
- Bullying behavior is carried out repeatedly and over time
- Bullying behavior causes an imbalance of power either physical or psychological.
- Cyber-bullying behavior is the use of modern communication technologies such as: email, instant messaging, chat rooms, websites, social networking sites, cell phones, and viagra online usa other forms of technology. Cyber-bullying issues will be addressed when it interferes within the school climate.
- Cyber-bullying behavior is to intentionally embarrass, humiliate, threaten, or intimidate an individual or group.
- Cyber-bullying behavior is an attempt to gain power and control.
Researched-based Bullying Definition
Bullying is when all of the following are present in behavior. Each of the following behaviors is negative, but all must be present in order to be considered bullying.
1. Specific type of aggression
2. Behavior is intended to harm or disturb
3. Carried out repeatedly and over time
4. Imbalance of power